Tucked between Cusco and Machu Picchu, the Sacred Valley is renowned for its vibrant local markets, adventure sports, and impressive Inca sites. There is such an array of tours and cultural highlights to keep you on the go in the region that planning time to simply relax is often an afterthought. Yet, experiencing the Sacred Valley at a slower pace is an opportunity to unwind amid the surrounding natural beauty and indulge in a luxury retreat.
The superior amenities at the 5-star hotels in the Sacred Valley, replete with professional spa services and fine dining, make each property a genuine oasis.
Discover ★★★★★ luxury:
Aranwa Sacred Valley Hotel & Wellness
Aranwa Sacred Valley resides on the sweeping property of a 17th century hacienda overlooking the Urubamba River. Local artwork and colonial-style furniture complement the hotel’s modern decor. Each of the deluxe rooms, including 14 suites, have a terrace or balcony and a private restroom with a Jacuzzi bathtub.
Photos by Aranwa and Peru for Less
- Unwind at UNNO Spa with a massage or facial treatment that incorporates essential oils made from native Peruvian plants like quinoa, camu camu, or coca.
- Have your choice of several dining options. Head to Restaurant Gourmet Pukawi for haute versions of the country’s traditional dishes or try Japanese-Peruvian fusion at Kusi Pisco Bar & Sushi Bar. For lighter fare, visit Restaurant Rikhuna and then order from the extensive wine list at Cava.
- Aranwa’s art gallery features reproduction prints of Peruvian photographer Martin Chambi who was the first to photograph Machu Picchu after its discovery by Hiram Bingham in 1911.
Hotel Rio Sagrado
Flanked by mountains and set on the banks of the Urubamba River, guests of Belmond Hotel Rio Sagrado enjoy luxurious accommodations and a privileged location. The sandstone-orange main house and free standing structures for the rooms and suites are spread over the property and akin to a small Andean village. Wander leisurely around the hotel’s well kept gardens or lounge by the outdoor pool with a pisco sour.
Photos by Belmond
- Spa Mayu Wilka offers relaxing, 30 to 150-minute massages as well as facials, body scrubs, wraps, and yoga. Amenities include a sauna, steam room, and indoor/outdoor Jacuzzi.
- The two restaurants have something to offer everyone. Enjoy a delicious lunch at El Jardin and the sophisticated atmosphere of El Huerto Restaurant with local and international cuisine.
- The hotel organizes special activities for children. Feeding the resident llamas is a highlight.
Hotel Sol & Luna
Sol & Luna offers all the services you need to relish an extended getaway in the Sacred Valley without ever leaving its sweeping 37 acre (15 hectares) property. Each of the distinct casitas is a private sanctuary, constructed of local stone, and decorated with original pieces of Peruvian folk art. Premium Casitas feature a wood-burning fireplace, floor heating, and Jacuzzi on a private garden terrace, an idyllic spot to soak in the beautiful scenery.
Photos by Hotel Sol y Luna
- The gourmet restaurant Killa Wasi serves Peruvian cuisine cooked with a touch of fusion and best paired with wine from the extensive list.
- Wellness experiences include treatments at Yuca Wasi Spa, morning yoga, and the sauna and gym adjacent to the swimming pool.
- Since its opening in 1996, the owners have worked with local communities and established the Sol & Luna Association to raise money for important educational, cultural and sports programs to improve the quality of life for Sacred Valley residents.
Tambo del Inka
Tambo del Inka, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, is the first hotel in the Sacred Valley to be granted the prestigious LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certification. Each of the well appointed rooms and suites is adorned with floor to ceiling marble bathrooms and warm Andean design accents. The hotel’s property, located on the banks of the river, is within walking distance to the town plaza of Urubamba. Tambo del Inka also has a private train station offering daily service to Machu Picchu.
Photos by Tambo del Inka
- The Spa at Tambo del Inka is an extension of the hotel’s luxurious services. Among many unique treatments, ask about the Andean Chocolate Facial, the Firming Coca Massage, and Quinoa Therapy.
- Hawa Restaurant serves innovative novo Andean dishes. After your meal, cozy up to the fireplace in the lounge with a cocktail from Kiri Bar.
- The superior indoor/outdoor pool is heated, so you can enjoy a swim any time of the year.
Machu Picchu + 5-Star Retreat
Escape the bustle of Cusco and treat yourself to luxury retreat in the Sacred Valley, either before or after you visit Machu Picchu. Choosing which 5-star hotel may be the toughest part of kickstarting the relaxation you deserve. Click “Go Discover” now.