Visitor guidelines (put into effect on July 1, 2017) help protect the integrity and legacy of the UNESCO Historic Sanctuary of Machu Picchu. Now, there are timed entries into the site and designated walking circuits to guide foot traffic and reduce overcrowding.
Read more about these Machu Picchu regulations:
A limited amount of Machu Picchu tickets are available for entry every hour from 6 am and 2 pm. When purchasing tickets for Machu Picchu you must select one of the entry times starting at 6 am, 7 am, 8 am, 9 am, 10 am, 11 am, 12 noon, 1 pm, or 2 pm. It’s possible to enter Machu Picchu for up to one hour after the time indicated on your ticket and not anytime beforehand.
Time at Machu Picchu
- General entry ticket permits a maximum stay of 4 hours inside Machu Picchu.
- Entry + Huayna Picchu ticket permit a maximum stay of 6 hours to do the hike and take a tour.
- Entry + Machu Picchu Mountain ticket permits a maximum stay of 7 hours to do the hike and take a tour.
Tour the urban and agricultural sectors of Machu Picchu on one of the walking circuits showcased in the map below.
- GREEN – Route 1
- RED – Route 2
- BLUE – Alternative Routes for hikes in Machu Picchu. The Huayna Picchu and Machu Picchu Mountain hikes require a special entry ticket that must be purchased in advance. Hikes to the Sun Gate and Inka Bridge do not require a ticket.
Points of Interest on the Map
- Agricultural Zone
- Main Gate
- West Agricultural Zone
- Temple Zone
- Temple of the Three Windows
- Astronomical Observatory
- Main Square
- Sacred Rock
- Group of the Three Doorways
- Royal Enclosures
- Temple of the Condor
New Machu Picchu Regulations
Peru for Less guides at Machu Picchu keep our Travel Advisors and operations team up-to-date with the most current regulations and how any changes may impact upcoming tours. View our visitor’s guide for Machu Picchu.
Britt is a California native who left her home to explore South America and now lives in Peru. She’s just a little obsessed about planning getaways with her family, scuba diving, and trekking.